Prince Died from Opioid Overdose, Death Ruled an Accident
Prince died of an overdose of fentanyl, an opioid painkiller up to 50 times more potent than heroin. He was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate. He suffered intense knee and hip pain from years of performances. The death was formally ruled an accident.
The autopsy on Prince was conducted the day after his body was found. When his body was examined, he was 5 feet 3 inches tall, weighed 112 pounds and was dressed almost entirely in black. He had scars on his left hip and right lower leg.